Councillors and VIPs attend the Opening of the Kings Meadow Baths
Saturday May 30th 1903 The Herald, Mercury.
The Opening of the King’s Meadow Open Air Baths was carried out by the Mayoress Mrs Holland Bull
After many delays, the long desired swimming bath for Ladies at Reading is an accomplished fact; and the highly successful completion of a scheme which presented many difficulties in its carrying out, reflects the greatest credit on the persistant efforts of the Parks and Pleasure Grounds Committee of the Corporation, and particularly on their energetic Chairman Mr Councillor Joseph Milsom, and on the Borough Engineer and Surveyor Mr John Bowen M. Inst. C.E. who designed a most complete and handsome bath, and overcame considerable engineering difficulties.
The new bath is a handsome structure, replete with every convenience.
The water area area measures 120 feet by 45 feet. The depth at the western extremity is 6 feet, and the depth at the opposite end being three feet.
Councillors were entertained by a fine Swimming Gala
The entertainmnet consisted of interesting drill, showing the four methods of saving persons from drowning, “release” drill and methods of resuscitation of the apparently drowned and demonstrations both on land and water were very smartly carried out by the following team under the direction of Mr Bruce Jones.
H.G. Haynes – H.R. Barrs – F.E. Gillier – H.S. Silver – A.H. Cane Jnr.
Demonstrations of a Handicap Swimming Race for the “Keyser Challenge Vase” took place with the following results:
1st Heat 1 Silver (5 secs) 2 Knight (scratch) 3 A.H. Cane (4 secs)
2nd Heat 1 L.O. Cane (5 secs) 2 C. Morris (6 secs) 3 H.R Barr (1 sec)
Final Heat 1st Silver 2nd Barrs 3rd Knight 4th L.O. Cane
At the close Mr Stanley Hayward proposed a toast of thanks to the members of the Reading and Y.M.C.A. Swimming Clubs, which was heartily accorded and acknowledged by Mr Henry Creed (President R.S.C.) and the host, hostess then entertained their guests to tea and coffee.
Councillors and eminent citizens of the town
- Alderman Monck
- Alderman Field
- Alderman and Mrs Eurby
- Cllr and Mrs Ridley
- Cllr and Miss Cox
- Cllr and Mrs Philbrick
- Cllr EH and Miss Simmonds
- Cllr and Mrs G.W Webb
- Cllr and Mrs Jackson
- Cllr and Miss Mosdel
- Cllr and Miss Waite
- Cllr and Misses Eighteen
- Cllrs Brinn, Clark, J.H. Walters, Pidler and Connolly
- Rev. R.P. Newhouse
- Dr J Hurry
- Captain Henderson
- Mr and Mrs Creed
- Mr W. M. Ferguson
- Misses Ferguson and Bird
- Mr R Bird
- Mr H.P. Milsom
- Mrs Radcliffe
- Mr Henry Day
- Mrs C.S. Smith
- Mr John
- Mr and Mrs Bowen
- Mr and Mrs Lund
- Miss White
- Misses Esser
- Miss Mausson
- Miss Reudal
- Misses Lacey
- Mr Barnard Messer
- Mr C.H. Keyner
- Mr and Mrs Slade
- Mr and Mrs Clutterbuck
- Mr and Mrs Cooper
- Mr John Eccrington
- Messrs Charles Slaughter
- Mr and Mrs Bradley
- Mr John Powell
- D. Haslam jnr
- Henry Read.
Councillors Presided over the Ceremony 1903
Mr Milsom began the proceedings by making a short introductory statement in which he outlined the the Bath.
The Mayor who was greeted by cheers said on behalf of his wife he had to thank the company very sincerely for the welcome they had given her that day.
Councillors and other attendees
Mayor Albert Holland Bull
Cllr Thomas Waite (Business at 5 Duke Street, residence “Park View” 25 Alexander Road, Reading – Elected Church Ward – 1887) – Retires in 1903 – Highways Lighting, Sanitary Committee, Library Sub-Committee, Estates Survey Committee (Waite and Pugh)
Cllr Henry Thomas Pugh (81 London Road, 1902 University College, Reading.) – Governor Reading School Board, Waite and Pugh , Drainage Building Committee.
The 1902 Park’s and Leisure Ground Committee:
Messrs Chairman Milsom, Palmer, Clarke, Collier, Connolly,Frame, Eighteen, Hayward, Jackson, Mosdel, Simmonds, Philbrick